So my friend Valerie is teaching a sewing class. She is on week two and has 10 students. Normally she has six. In an effort to get out of my home, I offered to come hang out in her class and answer a question or two. That was the theory. The reality was she had 10 Gen Z students, who were expecting Instagram-worthy outcomes on their second day of class.
Cami latched on to me and was afraid to make a move unless I hovered nearby. Though she is very sweet, it wasn't realistic because there was only one of Valerie and nine others who were having troubles of their own.
But Cami was nothing compared to the 20-something girl who walked in with a crappy attitude, which screamed, "I am in hell and don't want to be here!" My first thought was, "You are here. You paid for this class? Why?" The girl asked, "What do I do?" I prompted her to thread her machine. "I don't know how." She replied and folded her arms. "Get out your thread..." I started, pointing at the spindle where the thread goes. With all the attitude of a preteen girl who'd spent the night at a friend's house, she complied and rolled her eyes. She asked, "Now what?" And yes, it went like this, step by step, with this grown-ass uncooperative woman rolling her eyes at every instruction.
Anyway, this chick started out as a nightmare, full of vinegar. At one point she said, "I'm having a bad day." And oh boy! Was that not the moment to say that to me*. I gave her a rundown on MY day and all of the sudden this brat softened her stance. By the time I got back to her after dashing over to Cami who needed a pat on the back, the girl had managed to figure out how to sew the first part of her pillow case. And when I told her she did a great job, she turned into a whole different person. It is interesting that both of these young women were so anxious about sewing and handled it so differently.
There were eight others in various levels of learning who had questions and needed assistance. We covered them all in two and a half hours and congratulated every one when they completed the project. Everyone other than Cami finished their pillow case before class ended--but Cami has promised to send me a photo when her pillow case is done.
*I had a really, really BAD day.
No comments:
Post a Comment