Friday, October 4, 2024

How Big is this Place?

Maybe because I live on the very Eastern edge of the state, but I rarely think about how big Texas actually is. This morning, around 3 a.m., I was woken by a state-wide "Blue Alert" because 406 miles away a police officer had just been killed. To put that in perspective: my former home in Mesa, AZ to Venice Beach, Los Angeles CA is ALSO 406 miles.

I did a bit of digging and discovered these facts: 

North and South Carolina fit easily inside Texas with room to spare for Virginia, Alabama, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. 

Also of note, I live closer to Chicago, IL than I do to El Paso, Texas. 

I live closer to Miami, FL than I do to Phoenix. 

And finally, Texas is twice the size of Italy and about the same size as the Ukraine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment