Wednesday, June 26, 2024

A (Surreal) Morning In The Life

Wednesday morning, my pal Cindy called. She invited me to ride along to DeQueen Arkansas (an hour away) because she was buying a case of peaches. She is trading me peach preserves for a jar of blueberry jam. Unfortunately, I was already obligated. 

So, after the Chickens and Gardening talk I attended, I drove to the liquor store on the Arkansas side to buy vodka. Thanks to the Bowie County blue laws, only beer and wine is sold at the grocery stores. There is an exception. In Wake Village, beer and wine can be sold at one of the two gas stations within the city limits. 

I needed the vodka because I'm getting a bumper-crop of tomatoes. While at the liquor store, I discussed with the 20-something cashier the best vodka for the job--which in this case was the cheapest stored in a glass bottle. He and I talked extensively about how vodka in a plastic bottle could take on other flavors based upon where it was stored. Our discussion turned to canning, where he agreed vodka adds a nice flavor to homemade tomato sauce. 

Once home, the entire tomato sauce process was put on hold because a sudden and torrential storm which moved into the area. Polly and I secured the garage with our new inflatable dams (which did not inflate but the garage did not flood, so there's that). We made sure our phones were fully charged and Polly eyed the radar, looking for tornado or microburst warnings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment