Wednesday, August 14, 2024

A Happy Place

I am in a 98 year old cottage in Nowhere Michigan. The cottage was built in stages, with the original building erected as a two-room hunting cottage. From there, someone thought to take the main bedroom and make it two bedrooms, add a kitchen and indoor bathroom. In the 1950s--I'm not making this up--the basement was added. I should also mention, one of the basement walls is caving in, but I try not to think about it. Also, and I try not to think about this too much either, Marty Sunshine and Bonus Dad once had to seal part of the basement to keep the bats from coming back inside. The sunporch was added in the 1960s. The first of two upstairs bedrooms was added a couple years later. In the 1970s, the dining room and a bedroom above it (making two bedrooms upstairs) were added. In the 1980s, a half-bathroom was added to the upstairs. If you aren't big into the idea of a Higher Power, the construction of this house might just make you reconsider. 

Polly is with me--her first time here. She's in sensory overload, taking in the environment and the people. Of note, she hadn't really gotten to know David, Bonus Dad's son before today (he lives in Chicago) and was quite nervous. However, David has loved on her like she's a long-lost niece and taken her under his wing, promising her a fishing trip, a chance to drive the boat and all sorts of yummy foods. They've bonded over recipes and their mutual appreciation for water. Tonight she gets ribs.

As for me, I'm sitting in the sun porch, next to Bonus Dad on one side of me and the window overlooking the lake on the other. I could stay like this for the next month and be perfectly happy. 

Here are a few water pictures this trip. 


My current view

Lake Huron

Lake Michigan


No comments:

Post a Comment