Saturday, September 21, 2024

My Texas Card

During Lunch Bunch Thursday, I made the mistake of saying I'd never tried Blue Bell ice cream. I said this the same way I'd say, "I've never tried to impale my eyes," or "I've never won the lottery's mega-millions." You know, one of those casual in-conversation statements. 

It is no exaggeration when I say, every single member of my lunch party dropped their fork and gaped at me, as if I'd actually forgotten to mention I'd won the lottery the day before, right after I'd impaled my eyes. Deb, the Queen of the Corona's snapped, "There goes your Texas card!" 

And the shaming began... 

The shaming continued during dinner last night before we saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame. What? I hadn't YET tried this wonderful Texas treat? It had been more than 24 hours since I'd made my fateful confession. What was wrong with me? How could I willingly miss out on 66 wonderous flavors of creamy goodness? 

The true answer is I've had Michigan ice cream and I doubt anything will top that. However, my Texas card was on the line. So, at the grocery store today, I bought Blue Bell ice cream. Let's just say, it isn't isn't Michigan ice cream nor is it the worst ice cream I've ever had. 

In order to have my Texas card reinstated, it wasn't as simple as sampling Blue Bell. I had to pledge my loyalty to Dr Pepper, Wataburger, the Alamo, the Texas Rangers and promise to always hate the cheating Houston Astros. Nobody brought up the Dallas Cowboys or Tex-Mex, which probably was a good thing, because I'm not sure I'm that good a liar. 

I'm pleased to say I'm now an "official" Texan once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment