Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Bad Company

Well, Beryl made landfall about 400 miles from my home and boy was he mad! I've seen photos of Houston and have to wonder--if you lived in Houston growing up, were the storms and flooding like it is now?? (We'll talk). Anyway, Beryl brought a lot of water. And wind. Let's not forget the wind! I'm pleased to say our rigged garage dam system kinda held the water at bay. Sorta. Well, it helped. 

Today is clean-up on Arizona Avenue. I have power. Some parts of Texarkana do not. 

Before yesterday, the record tornado warnings for the Ark-La-Tex* area in a day was 36. Yesterday it became 67. Sadly, at least one touched down near me. My pal Val, said she and the grand babies watched one from the front porch. Leah and her kitties in nowhere Arkansas are without power and water (she's on a well), but she's fine. I haven't heard back from my friend Joy--who was in the path, but lives in a modern home. Hoping she just has her phone off. I'm leaving in a bit for my yoga class, and swinging by the soon-to-be opening quilt shop which was right across the street from from where a twister landed on the building of my favorite thrift shop. The pictures I saw show the windows are in tact. The roof, not so much. 


I walked into the storm to take the these. They really don't show how deep the water really is. In my driveway, it was about six inches where I was standing. We open the gate so the water will flow and not pool. Well, not pool as badly.

Arizona Avenue. See the curb? That's about eight inches flowing down. It isn't raining right now but it's still flowing toward the woods at the north end of my street.

This Morning. These are the inflatable dams and a few bricks as well. It didn't completely stop the water--not sure Hoover Dam would have stopped the water. But it helped. The water was barely covering most of the garage floor, versus the calf-high water we had last time that was coming into the garage.
I'm told this monumental amount of water is "unusual." Perhaps. But this is twice in two months.


Just one of the tornadoes in the area (courtesy of Facebook). 



*Ark-La-Tex is what the locals call this tri-state region: Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas. Don't ask me why we don't include Oklahoma, which is about 45 miles away. Louisiana is 35-ish miles from my house.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment