Monday, July 29, 2024

The Ladies Day Lunch

The "door prize."
Who? Why? What? Huh?

Yesterday, I attended the Ladies Day Lunch held at the Church of Christ. For the past month, Deb, Krissy, Ruth and Patty all made a point of asking if I was going, with Deb pulling the plug and just announcing she'd put me on the guest list. 

There were 98 of us--and somehow I ended up at a front table (next to Deb, of course), feeling like I was in a fishbowl. I assure you, nobody noticed, cared or thought twice about me being there. I knew probably 30 of the women by name and another 15 by sight. I've pretty much decided I'm the only one who cares that I'm a Catholic at the Church of Christ. However, by the time this thing started, I'd been there two and a half hours for church, etc., was really was peopled out and would rather have sat in the back. 

The food surprised me--a green salad buffet bar, with  plenty of options and mayo-covered chicken and tuna salad and reasonable desserts. I should clarify. What surprised me was the lack of chicken spaghetti. The drink selection did not surprise me. Sweet tea and water. 

The speaker spoke for 387 hours. Her talk was interesting, but I think she lost the crowd around the ten minute mark. She then had an activity for each table for the next twenty minutes, which consisted of discussion questions based on her talk. Did I mention she was at our table and took this very seriously? For full disclosure, I happen to like the woman in normal circumstances and she is quite interesting. 

Just when I was hoping to gain my freedom, it was time for door prizes. Given there were 98 of us and five prizes, I figured my chances were super-low. And that was a good thing, because by this point, my inner introvert was cowering in the corner. Welp, let's just say, I have my next white elephant gift for the Master Gardener Christmas party.  Seriously, I have so many questions about this door prize. Who selected it? Why did they think it would be something someone would want? What am I supposed to do with it? What is it? 

As soon as Deb--who led the final prayer--said amen, I zipped from the room. For everyone's protection, I said good-bye to nobody, and hightailed it to the car. With a new record, I made it back to Arizona Avenue in under five minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment