Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Getting Sick in the South

'Time was, a girl could get a sinus infection in peace. A friend or two might know, but essentially, folks left you alone to convalesce. 

Nowadays, that is virtually impossible. 

From "Are you super-sure you don't have Covid?" to "Why didn't you tell me you were sick?" and "Can I bring your family a chicken spaghetti?" (no!) my phone line and text messages have been stacking up. The only reason everyone in Tex-town knows I've been waylaid is because I was invited to the movies. After politely begging off, the person in question pushed. So, I told truth: I'm sick. 

There are no secrets in a small Southern-ish town. Telling one person around here is the same as taking up ad space on an Interstate billboard. I want to be offended, but it takes too much effort. Plus, I really like these folks.

I'm on day four of the three-day crud. Unless something changes, it looks to be a five-to-six day bug.* Luna and a 24-hour news cycle are my companions. Well, that and the--I'm not making this up--29!!! text messages I'm currently ignoring. I'm grateful for the love and prayers my friends are offering. My family is even more grateful nobody showed up with a chicken spaghetti. 


*It was eight days.

No comments:

Post a Comment