Saturday, May 11, 2024

Judge Training

The Bowie County Republican run-off election is being held in a couple of weeks. I thought I wouldn't have to work it for two reasons: 

1) I didn't take kindly to some of the pubic (in front of voters, no less!) snarky comments the head of the Bowie County elections said during early voting. Making crappy off-handed comments about me for things out of my control shows he has little regard for me. However, publicly attack my clerks for those same out-of-their control circumstances and see what happens. 

Additionally, at 9 p.m. Primary Election night, I walked into the court house, after being up since 3 a.m. and working at one of the busiest voting place places with a slight (and fixable) problem. I was headed to talk to one of the folks prepared to help me solve my minor administrative issue. This dude got wind of my issue, stopped me at the door and said some very unprofessional things. Being a Yankee, tired and being born with zero filter, I said some unprofessional things back. To his credit, the man hunted me down twenty minutes later and publicly apologized for that incident. However, the damage between us is lingering. I don't care. 

2) I didn't get asked to work until the end of April. I found out later, nobody else got asked either. 

Today, I have judge training. Normally, I dress up for this. You know, big-city business casual: slacks, a nice blouse and corresponding shoes. Already sure I will never be fired from this job, I'm wearing jeans, a clean top and my Keds. Of course, I'm pretty sure everyone else will dress more like me. 

I don't mind working the elections. I actually like helping out my country this way. 

What I don't like is being thrown into high-authority roles with little training. I don't expect much from today's class. I've heard it twice before,: Here's how to use the machine. This piece of paper goes into this envelope. Call someone if you have an issue. Everything else is trial by fire, and good luck! After working the Primary, I feel immensely qualified to handle whatever else comes my way--including the guy in charge of Bowie County elections.  

No comments:

Post a Comment