Wednesday, January 13, 2021

I Was Supposed to Work Today

Steve's house is closing today. He is signing in a few hours and then he gets keys. The new build process is so different than a buyer purchasing a pre-existing home. When the market is hot like it is now, the builders want the agents as far away as possible. Only through pestering do I actually get updates from the parties who are working with my client. 

However, the builder has my client's ear and I more than one builder has marginalized what I, and every other agent, do. Simply, my client is told we aren't needed because the builder knows what they are doing, so come to them and them alone with questions.  

And that is precisely what Steve has done. Except the time he needed contract clarification. Then he came to me. 

Last week Steve had questions about his loan. I had no idea who the loan officer was and couldn't reach out. The builder incentivizes Steve to use their mortgage company--which he did. The builder also pays me to step away--which I didn't. 

Last week, I reached out to the title office to get some details--which I always do at this point in the transaction. I also reached out Monday and Tuesday too, because they weren't excited to talk to me last week and it took some prodding. In addition to FINALLY reviewing the settlement statement, I found out that I am not welcome at Steve's signing today. Why? Because there is a big bad virus on the loose and people who catch this bug have a 99 percent recovery rate and therefore, I needed to be as far away as possible because the title office told me they would not let me in the building. 

"What if we sign outside and all wear our happy little masks?" I asked. Nope. 

"What if my client insists I come?" They will refuse to sign him and then he is is breach of contract. 

Finally I called Steve and asked how he would like to handle this. I don't miss my clients' signings as a rule. I offered to wait in the car in the parking lot just in case he had questions. He said it was fine. He had already signed "a bunch of stuff" this week electronically (really????) and it was just a few more forms. He did promise to call if he had issues, though he didn't say who he would call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment