Monday, January 18, 2021

Job Hunting

Every few days, I find job postings that match my presumed skills. Now to be fair, I've pretty much been self-employed most of my adult life, so "matching my skills" depends more on who is asking. I've run businesses, handling everything from reading financials, meeting with SEC attorneys, learning real estate legalities in two states, writing advertisements and marketing collateral, answering phones, hiring assistants, firing assistants, negotiating, taking calls, drinking heavily and weeping uncontrollably. I've written business plans and dissolution agreements--both fabulous prose. I've trained adults and adults who act like children. I've written and presented for a variety of audiences. I've handled the grouchiest and the most gracious. And sometimes the most gracious were back-stabbing harpies and I had to know the difference. 

How exactly does that translate into qualifications for a part-time job I have no idea. 

Ten years ago I worked for a call center for about two years. I loved the job. Real estate was bleak. When real estate picked up, I quit. I was making more in one house sale than I was making in three months answering phones. That is the sum-total of my work for someone other than me experience since 1998.

Anyway, I applied for a job yesterday. The job kind of appealed to me--until I found out it was full-time, but I still went for it. I have way too much time on my hands to think. A change of scenery would be nice. Plus, I don't see a lot of real estate in the near future. 

Other than not having a lot of translatable experience, I ran into a strange issue. I have no business references. I have friends who will say anything in a pinch (Bliz and Jane) but it isn't exactly the same as professional references. I ended up texting two friends who have also bought property from me. They both know me personally and professionally. Both said not a problem, bring it on. Hopefully if they are asked, they can explain the above paragraph to a prospective employer.  



No comments:

Post a Comment