Friday, July 22, 2022

Small Town Life

 Growing up in Phoenix, there are things that astonish me. 

1. I fill up my car once every three weeks.  

2. People are nice. I can't stress this enough. I also cannot stress how I didn't realize how un-nice people in the big cities are and how I just didn't see this until I lived in a small town. Eeep! I was one of those!  

3. People are helpful. That's different than nice.  

4. It's a desert for quality resources. Folks tend to have lower standards for furniture, goods, etc. Even simple items like spray starch can be hard to find. If it isn't at one store, it probably won't be at four others. I've come to the conclusion that my sole purpose in life is to keep Amazon in business.  

5. In Texarkana, I question the quality of medical and mental health care. I said what I said.

6. Food quality isn't great. I started clarifying my point and ended up writing four paragraphs. More on this later. 

7. Crime isn't an issue. We often forget to lock our doors. That goes for the car doors in parking lots too.  

8. Community is a thing. Our Neighborhood app is filled with, lost dogs, any idea when the First Baptist revival will be?, please buy my raffle ticket, Hi, I'm new here, can you tell me where I can get good childcare? and Would someone be available to help me move a couch. On that last one, it was me. We had about 12 volunteers. 

9. There are no bike paths, but the drivers aren't crazy. I've taken to riding my bike again. There are tons of hills. To get any mileage at all, it requires me to ride on the main roads and out of the neighborhood. At first, I was nervous about the traffic, but I'm realizing drivers are more mindful around here. I do wish the roads were a bit wider though. 

10. It is essential to learn to co-exist with the critters. Well, most of the critters. I did ask Marty to put down another round of Snake-Away last weekend. But, we have squirrels, possums, turtles, skinks, racoons, foxes, deer and probably a host of other critters I don't know about. This isn't just where I live, this is throughout Texarkana. 

11. Texarkana was horribly affected by the lockdown. The mall is almost empty. Many commercial buildings are empty. I'm told of how this business and that business were "the" places to go before 2020. However, in the past few months, we've seen a lot of commercial growth. The Texarkana mall has gotten a few new stores. A Conn's Furnishings is going in next to the Hobby Lobby. We have a QT slated to go in right next to my house (YES!!!). Civic clubs are starting back up.  Where I live, in Wake Village, they are planning some sort of fall festival this year for the first time in three years. Also, we've had a new restaurant and a new store open in the town circle in the past two months. Given Wake Village is 1.5 square miles, this is progress. I hear the Texarkana economic development and chambers (both TX and AR) are looking at ways to make the downtown more of a gathering place.  

12. I don't know anyone, yet I know people. I don't have a social circle, yet I have resources. For example, Amanda who is in charge of the adult education classes e-mails me and keeps me apprised of potential yoga classes. I'm sure she does this for others too. But, when I went into see her, she remembered me. She knew the area code of my phone number and my e-mail address by heart. Ms. Cathy at the church has talked to me about sewing and answered a few questions. I would LOVE to get to know Ms. Cathy better. The opportunity hasn't come up. Tessa the Realtor knows everyone. If I need a this or that. I can find folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment