Sunday, July 31, 2022

Dinner with Abby

About a week ago, I met Abby for dinner. Abby, for those of you who are playing along, was my assistant for the brief time I worked at the Ole' Brokerage. She's in her 20s and quite delightful. 

She'd put off dinner a couple of times because of finances, and I finally put my foot down. "Let's go to Fuzzy's, grab tacos, and I will pick up dinner. We will call it your birthday dinner, so you don't feel like you have to pay me back." I texted when she admitted she was canceling because money was tight. 

I'd been the girl who was flat broke before. Having the opportunity to pay forward the generosity someone showed me at Abby's age thrilled me to no end. I picked Fuzzy's Tacos for two reasons. First, Fuzzy's has reasonable food. And second, it was far across town from the Ole' Brokerage. The likelihood of running into any of Abby's coworkers was minimal.  

Abby is doing well. She is unhappy with her job. She likes Tessa, but Tessa isn't doing much leading of her own company. Backstabby, the woman who threw me to the wolves and the reason I no longer work there, is becoming a problem for Abby. That's too bad. Abby and I discussed a few options and hopefully Abby will feel like she can look around. It's a small town. Tessa is well-known. There are challenges with that. 

I loved visiting with Abby. We've set up another dinner for later next month at a pizza joint near her house and also far from the Ole' Brokerage. I told her to bring her little boy next time if she wants. I'd love to meet him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment