Monday, August 1, 2022

Lunch with Joy

At last month's book club (and the first one I attended), I met Joy. We chatted outside the library for quite a while and decided to pick up our conversation over lunch the following week. I spent the week nervous, afraid she'd get busy or that she was just being polite and would reconsider. That level of insecurity happens when one has been by themselves in a small town for the past seven months. I promise. 

Anyway, Joy did not disappoint! We met at Cracker Barrel and had a wonderful lunch. She spent a few years in Phoenix as a child. Her dad just passed away. She has a crazy mother. And, she's a rhetoric professor and wanted to talk writing! 

Marty said it was like I won the new friend lottery. I kind of felt that way myself.

She told me to call her when I got back from my trip this month. We'd have lunch again and pick up where we left off. And this time, I believe she means it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment