Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Social Seeds

Prior to 2022, as an introvert, I would have told you my social life was fine. And it was. Growing up in the same metroplex I've lived in the majority of my life, comes with some advantages. Couple that with working in an industry where networking is paramount and having a homeschool support system, I had a healthy social structure. 

Living in a post-pandemic small town where the residents live here by choice and have known each other since birth, has really brought to light just how difficult making friends can be. Given I went to three high schools and had a crash course in making friends in my teen years, I thought I had this licked. Nope. Not even on a good day. 

However, the seeds I've planted are starting to sprout in different ways. First, the woman I took the sewing class from last spring has been e-mailing with me. She asked if I wanted to do a project together with her and present it to the class this fall. Sure! In addition to sewing, this woman and I are veteran homeschool moms with similar ideas about education and family.  

Deb, the woman who invited me to the Church of Christ prayer group last month reached out. They have another one scheduled for this month. Would I like to come as their token Catholic? Ok, she didn't add that last part. I would like to come, however, I'm going to be in St. Louis with Bliz, celebrating her birthday. Deb said she would stay in touch. Deb happens to be Tessa's best friend. Plus she also likes gardening and has a fabulous garden. 

Then there's Amanda. Amanda works at the college. She is in charge of Adult Education and knows me because I sign up for the sign painting classes and the sewing classes. She knows Buckaroo because he takes the martial arts class at the college. When I am there, we chat often about this and that and nothing in particular. Yesterday, I was at the college with Buck and she asked why I hadn't signed up for the focaccia making class this fall. I had mentioned it in passing that it looked interesting. Then she admitted that she signed up for it, because she was expecting we'd be doing this class together. 

Well now! That was news to me. Honestly, I know how to make bread. I don't need (kneed) to spend two hours learning this process with 9 other people. But what the heck! Amanda and I have a few things in common. She's pretty cool. Maybe I can convince her to get that yoga class going too.

No comments:

Post a Comment