Sunday, August 7, 2022

A Night in the Jailhouse

I spent Friday night in the Bedford Indiana jailhouse. It was my half-wayish position between Texarkana and Lupton Michigan. And, if GPS had routed me through less questionable terrain, I might have arrived at my Air BNB 90 minutes earlier. 

At any rate, I stayed in the former Lawrence County Indiana jailhouse. It was built in 1906 and if you can figure out how to get there without going directly over the single mountain in Indiana, all the better. 

In the morning, my hostess packed me a portable breakfast of my choosing (I asked for fruit and cheese, but she was prepared to make omelets, crepes and corned beef hash had I wanted it) and gave me a quick tour. I stayed in the second floor tower (on the left in the first photo). At one time it had been an office and probably a holding cell. The actual jail was in the back of the building, and truly creepy. But, it is blocked off from the rest of this charming place. 

After my time up here in Michigan, I'm heading to St. Louis. I haven't decided if I'm going to stay at the Jailhouse again. The price is right. The hostess was sweet. The promised breakfast of my choice sounds interesting. But, it means driving through Indianapolis at rush hour and either taking the questionable mountain road back to the Interstate on my way to St. Louis, or driving about an hour and a half out of my way back to the Interstate in the morning, getting me into St. Louis at rush hour.


















No comments:

Post a Comment