Saturday, May 20, 2023

Home Sweet Home

I woke up in Sweetwater Texas at 1 a.m. this morning. By 3 a.m. this morning, I gave up with the entire REM sleep thing and I checked the weather radar--something one does when they live in this part of the country--only to find out thunderstorms were expected at any moment and would be hanging around Central Texas until around 10 a.m. And, given that I wasn't staying in a luxury hotel, the last thing I wanted to do was hang out in that place until mid-morning waiting out the potential for tornadoes.

Sydney Jean and I pulled into the driveway on Arizona Avenue at 10:45. I'm never driving anywhere again. 

For the record, there was a crap-ton of traffic in on I-20 through Fort Worth and Dallas at 6 a.m. this morning. Seriously, why weren't these folks sleeping? And also, I-30 was closed in Fort Worth, so the direct route was out of the option. Good thing there are 2,389 back roads in East Texas. 

My family was happy to see me. I was happy to see them. The house was clean. The dog loves me. The cat is sulking. I'm about to turn on the Diamondbacks game and probably fall asleep for the next 90 hours. So, life is good. 

Tomorrow when I wake up, I will find a church to attend--rumor has it the AC is down at my Catholic church--and then go play with my plants. After a cursory garden inspection, I'm pleased the tomatoes and squash are going to town outside and Luna has opted to stay out of the garden. 

Also, tomorrow we will be celebrating Mother's Day with the tamales I hauled back from Phoenix in an ice chest and play cards with my family. Looking forward to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment