Wednesday, November 22, 2023

An Introvert in the South

My dance card is brimming over with social. And I am not sure how to handle such things. For the first 54 years of life I had a few close friends--though I'd like to think I still do--and we saw each other when we saw each other. It wasn't complicated. 

This whole Southern Social Thing though!!! 

I made the conscious decision not to say yes to any more social events this year. I have plenty right now. 

  • Thanksgiving
  • My two leave-the-state trips in December
  • Polly's graduation
  • Christmas
  • Polly's two concerts
  • One (of three) book clubs--though I'm hating the book and may just pass. The heck with it! 
  • Lunch bunch Christmas party 
  • Master Gardener Christmas party (I may pass on this too). 
  • A lunch date with Joy 
  • A lunch date with Val
  • Marty's birthday
  • Marty's company Christmas party
  • A family trip to see Christmas lights in Washington Arkansas (30 miles away) 
  • Though I tried to get out of it--Deb's prayer group's Christmas party. Deb has a way of guilting me like nobody since Bonus Mom has ever been successful at doing. 
  • The Ladies' Auxiliary Christmas party. Well, let me just nip that one in the bud. 

Sadly, I'm missing this year's Corona New Year's party. I will be out of town. That actually is one event I wouldn't mind going to. Fortunately, I will see them all at the Lunch Bunch Christmas Party and Deb's prayer group's Christmas party. Plus, as I write this, my phone is blowing up--again--with group texts. This is kind of a daily thing.

There was a time I said yes to every social event that came my way. The next six weeks is a byproduct of that. This isn't a complaint. I like the people I'm with. However, I'm ready for a long winter's nap.  

No comments:

Post a Comment