Thursday, November 2, 2023

Civic Duty

I got a part-time job. I work for Bowie County as an election worker (sounds better than poll worker--which is what the State calls us). My job currently is "clerk," which means I check people in when they come to vote, swear in anyone who is there to assist the voter and maintain election integrity. 

In addition to Election day, Texas has early election voting. This election is for ballot propositions, which apparently voters are either finding underwhelming or are waiting until the last minute to cast their votes. In Bowie County, there were three spots open for voters to cast their early ballots. I ended up working at the Church of Christ. Next Tuesday is election day and we will have 20+ sites open. I will work that day at the Texarkana Rec Center. 

Texas has a pretty easy-peasy system to ensure all votes are counted the very day of the election. Therefore, there is little chance of them having to wait, say... two weeks to find out the results of a governor race. Additionally, the State of Texas has taken impressive steps to minimize the risk of voter fraud. Election workers never touch the ballots. Only the voter does. They have redundant systems in place to make sure the votes are accurately tabulated. We had the Bowie County Election Pubah come in this past week and run an impromptu audit, making sure what was on our voting machine matched the report he ran. It did. 

I'm pleased this is a soft start. Because next year Texas has four elections (primary, run-off, Texas/local and Presidential). Those who are brave enough, have an opportunity to work all nine weeks of early voting and election days. I think I'm brave enough. 

In addition to election clerk, there are two other positions at the polling place: alternate judge and presiding judge. I've already been asked if I'm interested in either of those positions, not because I'm super-fantastic, but because they are short people who want to step up to that level of responsibility for a measly two dollar an hour raise. I said I'd be willing to consider the role in 2025. Hit me up then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment