Friday, February 16, 2024

Random Texarkana (Small Town Stuff)

On the Facebook Texarkana Metro site last December: someone posted they lost their debit card in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby. They were currently forty miles away. Would someone be so kind as to head over to that parking lot, take a peek and if they find it, the owner of the card would be happy to cashap a few bucks to them for their time. The following post a few hours later was the same person, praising the sweet man who went over to the Hobby Lobby parking lot and found the debit card. 

-------

Our garage door is broken. It is a major inconvenience. It will be another three weeks before our new replacement door comes in. Meanwhile, I'm using the front door for all egress and ingress. However, I keep forgetting to lock the door. I realize Luna will probably scare away anyone with impure motives, but the big-city girl in me should know better than keeping the door unlocked. In fact, I'm home right now and my front and back door are both unlocked. I do that now. 

However, two weeks ago, Wake Village had a rash of violent crime, all within 24 hours and all on the same block. This has been the ONLY violent crime since we moved here. A juvenile shot his father (non-life threatening). A man stabbed his two girl friends (also non-life threatening). Another man took off with his brother's car and the brother held on and was dragged down the road (also non-life threatening). The first two were immediately apprehended. The car thief's brother's face was plastered all over--you guessed it--Facebook and was found and caught within 24 hours. All are being held in the bi-state jail. 

-------

I left my house ten minutes from my appointed meeting time at the barbecue joint on Stateline Road, which is roughly six miles from my home. Anxiety set in, I wouldn't have dreamt of leaving my home ten minutes prior to an appointment and having to drive six miles in Phoenix. Without speeding, I made it in seven minutes. I really need to chill out about travel around here. 

-------

Nobody--and I mean nobody--gives directions based on cross streets. Want to know where the Dairy Queen is? It is across the street from the old K-mart. Where's the old K-mart? Right next to the Dollar General located near the skating rink which isn't there any more, because "they" turned it into a car wash. Want to know where the book store is? In the old print shop on State Line, next to Mr. Tupper's former gallery (which went out of business 26 years ago). If you can't find these places, just go to Facebook. Nobody here has an actual Web page. They all use Facebook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment