Thursday, September 13, 2018

Flashback

There are certain topics that are not allowed in the Sunshine household. We don't speak of that dark time, when I was managing a gazillion homes. We refer to a particular state as "West Georgia" and we never, ever utter Mr. Former Partner's name without expecting a string of profanity out of my mouth as soon as the sound hits the ether. Ever.

Mr. Former Partner has been out of my life for the past two years. To keep my karma intact, when the accidental business broke up, I left everything organized and ready for his leadership. In less than four days after he took over, he made a mockery of what he had, while managing to ruin his reputation with the locals in West Georgia. He had three long-term tenants. Mrs. Roebuck moved out within a week and a month later he begged her to move back in. I know this, because I read his e-mail (she said, "Bless your heart, no."). Ms. Angie, was kicked out within two weeks, and that just turned my stomach into knots when I heard. Only Mrs. Sherwood braved Mr. Former Partner's misguided Machiavellian ways. Two weeks into him managing his own homes she sent me a message, "I don't like him." Too bad she hadn't boned up on my former blog, though all it would have done was intensify her position.

To be fair, I wasn't a fan of Mr. Former Partner either when all was said and done. The day he wrote me, complaining, "I had to take vacation time to manage these properties," I laughed manically. He used to bitch that I shouldn't have been paid for managing our houses. According to him, the business, "ran itself."

Asshole.

Mrs. Sherwood sent me a text today. She couldn't take any more of him and was moving out. I found this odd. Mrs. Sherwood paid on time and maintained the property better than all my other tenants I ever had, combined. Why on earth would he want to annoy her? Seriously, she was the best tenant we ever had. The reason for her text was that she was wondering if I would give her a landlord reference. She said she was uncomfortable asking Mr. Former Partner to help out with this one. If I were a betting woman, I would guess she hasn't bothered to tell him she is moving out at all, but that's none of my business.

I did give Mrs. Sherwood a reference. I said truthful things. They were all nice. She was an awesome tenant who had stayed for more than 10 years. She was honest and trustworthy and an all around pretty amazing person. I wish her well and hope she stays in touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment