Thursday, September 20, 2018

Next

I just passed on a listing. Zillow says the house is worth $331,000. I ran comps six ways from Sunday. The best I could do was an optimistic $295,000. Then, even if I took a reduced commission, the owner would walk away at best breaking even and at worst writing a check. And that is before a buyer asks for repairs, closing costs or monetary concessions. Unfortunately the owner believes Zillow. I wish I did too. Pricing houses isn't easy, but this is an optimistic $36,000 difference. But, probably more like a $46,000 difference.

My kids like food with their meals, and this one would have cost me more than I would have made. I don't need to stick my sign in a yard to advertise I over-price homes for living and just don't know what to do. I can't think of any other message I would be sending to the general public.

Often, I tell new agents not to be desperate. Not all clients are created equal. Spending all of my time with a seller who will require a lot of attention takes up space in my life that could be reserved for clients with more realistic expectations. Honestly, I don't think this seller is ready to sell. Maybe the stone cold truth will make a difference and he will come back. Or maybe some clueless buyer will believe Zillow, buy the place and all of the property values in the neighborhood will go up.

No comments:

Post a Comment