Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Unicorn Shopping

So Nicholle called me Monday. She was in tears. She was breaking up with her boyfriend of 12+ years and taking her two kids and three Chihuahuas and moving out no later than this coming weekend. And by the way, she makes $10 an hour right now, but is getting a raise to $12 an hour in a few weeks, so she could afford a "nice" place.

For those of you who did not graduate from my landlord-tenant training program, let me just jump to the final exam: this just sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Nicholle is ill-prepared, under capitalized and is trying to find a unicorn. I know unicorns exist, but not at the expense of my time.

It just so happens, I am familiar with Nicholle and all of the other Nicholles out there. But in this case, I do know her personally (and she should have left the boyfriend years ago, but that's another story). I am also familiar with several of her life choices from the past. I simply cannot help her and keep my sanity.

Her major non-negotiable was that she wanted to live in Surprise, AZ. That just happens to be 54.7 miles from my house. The only two properties I actually found (there were two!) paid me $55 if Nicholle passed the background, pet and credit check and took the condo. Plus, she needs to make three times the rent in order to qualify at all. She didn't believe me when I told her this on the phone, so there was no way I was going to drive that far just to prove to her this wasn't going to happen.

At any rate, I did send her the phone number and names of the two agents with the listings I found in Surprise. Perhaps one of them knows where she can find a slightly used unicorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment