Thursday, November 1, 2018

Felon Updates

I was gone last weekend but apparently not forgotten. One of the felons, Doug, wanted to see a home. He sent me a text on Saturday with a note that I needed to show it to him "ASAP." The home had 14 offers and sold for $15,000 over asking price, cash, before I managed to make it back to this side of the Continental Divide. He said he understood and was gracious about losing out on the whole thing. Not to be cynical, but he wouldn't have gotten it even if I was in town. It turns out Doug really can't start looking anyway because his divorce isn't final, and more to the point, he doesn't have a court date. Arizona is a community property state. This is kind of a problem.

The other felon was less than kind when I spoke with him today. It is all my fault he hasn't found a home. It isn't his crazy requirements, plus his insistence to only live in a 12 square mile area or the fact he refuses to live in a place that doesn't have a two car garage. Nor is it the fact he doesn't have internet so the entire process takes days longer than it should. And let's not even start on what the probation requirements are for this man! Once he finds a place, it has to meet another set of standards. But no. Simply, he "can't afford" the homes I send him.

I asked if he would like to broaden his search or even change his criteria? No. He just wanted to complain and blame. I recommended he speak with his loan officer and see what kind of payment would make him feel comfortable, given he is already prequalified for significantly more but doesn't want to spend more than $100,000 on a property. "You'd think any competent realtor would be able to tell me this and not make me call a loan officer," he grumbled.

Yep, you'd think, but no. Not even the incompetent ones could reach into the recesses of Mr. Felon's brain and pull this one off.

Because I "can't find anything" that suits him, he is now thinking about a manufactured home. I didn't break it to him that he would need to have a 20% down payment for that. Why bother? He isn't going to find a manufactured home (e.g., trailer) that someone will give him a mortgage on for $15,000. I guess I will just fail him there, too. I think I will just let him find out for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment