Thursday, November 29, 2018

Working Together

Last week, when Doug the Favored Felon ended up under contract with a contingency he was to be divorced the day before Thanksgiving. It just so happened, I was to be traveling that day, making the entire process of me working with Doug and the other agent a complete and total pain in the neck.

There is a joke among agents that the more inconvenient the time to work on real estate, the more urgent it will be. This is not an exaggeration. More than once, I have conducted business in 2 feet of the Gulf of Mexico, just because it was the only place I could get reasonable cell service. I had three sales going during Bonus Mom's memorial service back in July. And I was in no condition to talk to anyone. But my clients and the other agents involved didn't care.

In the case of Doug the Favored Felon's sale, the selling agent didn't want to tie up the house for the holiday weekend with my client if he couldn't perform. I can't say I blame her, but she wasn't willing to bend and even allow me to get to my destination before she pulled the plug on the sale. So, to make this work for my buyers, we left the night before, allowing me to get to a computer the next day during office hours and write up an addendum.

As it turns out, all went well. Doug is a single man now. The other agent, realizing the sale wasn't in jeopardy chilled out Thanksgiving Eve and finally agreed to allow me to turn in my paperwork during business hours this past Monday--like a sane, civilized person. Her willingness to work together made it easier for me not to get totally pissy when I found a glaring error in something she wrote up.


No comments:

Post a Comment