Tuesday, December 29, 2020

On the Fence

I got an e-mail to apply for the Professional Development Committee. At first--and for several hours--I was confused. Wasn't that the umbrella committee that covered the Grievance/High Inquisitor Squad folks? Why was I getting a personalized invite to join a committee I already belong to? 

Finally, it dawned on me. I belong to the Professional Standards Committee. The Professional Development Committee is the committee I also sorta belong to that holds the auditions for the future teachers and monitors zoom classes. In 2020 I was a member of this committee. Unlike Professional Standards, which has a three-year commitment, Professional Development Committee is a one year obligation. And I can't say that I'm complaining about it. 

At one time I really wanted to teach real estate classes. Maybe part of me still does. But I'm not feeling it right now. That could partially be because I'm limited to zoom education classes. It could also partially be that Beth, who hired me for her personal real estate school, obviously has no confidence in my ability--though I don't agree with Beth's assessment. I don't even care if she has no confidence in my ability. But the experience working with her wore me down.  

Teaching is a labor of love. The teaching committee is a labor of patience. Part of me isn't ready to give this up. However, I do think this isn't the right season for me to be teaching. That I'm ok with. I'm not planning on walking away from teaching opportunities. But I'm not seeking them out either. The ten hour (plus monitoring) commitment each year isn't a big deal. And it can't hurt to stay connected. 

I will need to think more about deciding to apply for a 2021 role in this committee.  


No comments:

Post a Comment