Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Directionless

Because of the lack of business, I'm a bit flat. There is no money in my account to pay for some of my necessities: my dues (so I can get receive my upcoming commission and use the Multiple Listing Service), the data subscription I use (and helps me in my business) and my errors and omissions (malpractice) insurance. All of these are due in 29 days. Not true, my data subscription has already expired. 

Honestly, I've been struggling with whether or not to keep my doors open. I have made a profit every year I've worked for myself so that isn't the issue. But keeping the doors open isn't necessarily viable if I want to keep doing this in the short-term. Truthfully, I can still maintain my license and go to a different brokerage. That will save me the insurance portion of what I owe. I still have to pay the rest. 

Of course, I have ways to get the money. But I am hesitating. My hesitation has to do with how much longer I plan on being an agent. Right now I'm not doing any advertising or looking for ways to create work. I need to make a commitment if I'm going forward. One way or another. 

I've weighed the pros and cons of closing my doors. Pro: less expensive, less liability, less paperwork. Con: Less freedom, less autonomy, less commission (assuming I have incoming commissions), somebody else's office policies/politics and there are start-up costs of signs, advertising and other broker fees I'm expected to pay. Plus, what broker in their right mind wants to bring in an agent who is not producing? I know there are discount brokerages out there who will charge me a fee (and/or a portion of my commission) and leave me alone. But most won't. Nor do I want to sit through sales meetings and deal with the crazy that comes from being a "team" player. As I write this, I'm having PTSD just thinking about the days I worked for El Jefe and the Insane Woman at 21st Century. 

There are a few life-thingys in the Sunshine household right now that need more attention than me trying to sell and house or two (we are fine). But what to do about my brokerage has been weighing on my mind. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will make a few decisions and commit to a direction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment