Monday, April 26, 2021

Inflexible

So I've been browsing the o'le job board looking for something that sorta matches what I am pretty sure I can do. It is difficult because I don't know what I can do. Plus, I only have worked for someone else for about two years in the last 23. Therefore, I am my own set of references. 

Additionally, I am rather fussy about what I want to do and where I want to work. I hate city driving. And I have a perfectly good office located in my basement. So, why increase the my carbon footprint just because someone wants to see my adorable face every day?  

There are a few openings at the Arizona Department of Real Estate that I am more than qualified for. In fact, the person I know there has an opening right under her that she sent me. "Does it allow me to work from home?" I asked. Nope. But we can carpool, she countered. I suspect I would be required to wear shoes too. 

There are other jobs that have shown up that would be good matches. A real estate affiliate is looking for a copy editor to write listing prose (You know the, "Stop the car! This gorgeous three bedroom gem is a must see," and all the other types of hyperbole one writes in a MLS listing). They are willing to pay me as long as I agree to work in their office. I can write (and have written for the past 18 years) the same catchy MLS verbiage from my basement. But in this case, my basement is a deal-breaker, which doesn't seem fair because their office probably doesn't have ice tea on demand and my kitchen helper (Marty) does.   

There is a also a few real estate transaction coordinator jobs that I saw. One happens to be for an acquaintance of mine, who I know would be willing to grant me an interview if I called him and told him I applied for his job. Unfortunately, they also want someone in the office. Now then, the job is 100 percent digital and does not require human interaction. The only reason to go into the office is to be a team player, which, let's be fair, is not part of my winning qualifications. 

I think what I really need is to work on being more flexible. Then I can go back to searching through job boards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment