Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Child Neglect

I found out Monday night that Marty and I exhibited unabashed child neglect against our two offspring for their entire lives. Why? Because we'd never taken them to a state or county fair or anything resembling a carnival. Now, let's just set the record straight: 

1. Both of my children have entered (and won) drawings in the state/county fairs.

2. There are themes at the state/county fairs in Phoenix such as, "Show your gang colors night," "Bring your parole officer to the fair night," and "Drug traffickers half-price night," which tends to keep the more respectable population away.   

3. My children have been to Disneyland and Disneyworld an embarrassing amount of times. 

So, I am not one little bit sorry they hadn't experienced ramshackle carnival rides run by those on minimum security work furloughs and eaten fried foods cooked under questionable circumstances. 

However, Monday night as part of my Master Gardener hazing volunteer hours I brought Buck and Polly with me to the Four States Fair--which was about 1/4 the size of anything in the greater Phoenix area. They stopped by to see me a couple of times, giddy from running around, eating fried this and that and ready to take on more rides. I believe all has been forgiven. 

However, I did take Buckaroo aside and tell him to stick close to his sister. I heard one of the minimum security work release prisoners took off yesterday after his shift and hasn't been seen since.  

When we returned home last night, Buck had a new stuffed animal and Polly brought a fried turkey leg home for her father. Both young adults told me they had a great time at the fair, but they don't see the need to go back to another one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment