Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Garden Update

The Main Garden: 1. Sweet Potatoes and (I can't believe I'm writing this) Okra
2. Zucchini, Squash, Peppers
3. Tomatoes and some Herbs
4. Onions, Spinach, Radishes, Cabbage, Lettuce
5. Cucumbers (for pickles), more herbs and flowers for pollination.
The whirligigs and garden adornments are allegedly to deter Luna. 

This is the potato garden. 

Springtime in Texarkana is kind of a hazy warm, mixed with a rush to get everything done before the next (sigh) rain storm--which is slated to be Thursday. The Sunshine family has been living their best lives. The garden is coming along slowly. I have seedlings started but they seem to be taking their time. I have one zucchini ready to plant. However, I have these dang stitches in my hand. So the timing isn't good. 

Additionally, I'm now part of a committee that probably has a name. It is for the Texarkana Health Department's Community Garden. The goal is to grow veggies and provide the community with the veg, as well as the information to others on how they can grow it themselves. What I'm really doing is tending to the garden, as soon as the hand finishes healing. 

Speaking of hand healing. Stitches come out Friday. I'm not supposed to lift ANYTHING or do ANYTHING with my left hand. I'd like to tell you I'm milking this and the family is just jumping on every chance to walk the dog, load the dishwasher, fold the clothes, cook dinner, etc. But then we'd all know I was lying. 

And speaking of plants, I stopped by the road side stand in the parking lot of the Nash Baptist Church on New Boston Road today. Some family was selling plants and well, I needed a few. I picked up a yellow squash and two varieties of tomato. These, along with what I have growing in my kitchen at the moment, will give the garden a bit of genetic diversity. Now to convince Luna she doesn't need to dig there. 


In the interest of full disclosure, the big bandage is off my hand and is replaced with a band-aid and a wrap to remind me not to use my hand (which doesn't seem to to work). Typing is not as difficult as it was with the growth but not what it could be if the stitches weren't snuggly settled into the palm of my hand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment