Sunday, April 23, 2023

Welcomed

Last week Marty Sunshine, suggested we check out the Church of Christ. Now, before we continue you need to understand: Marty, a cradle Catholic, has never gone to a Protestant church. Ever. Being raised by a new aged flower child, and as a girl, having the neighbor ladies on each side of me next door take pity on me, as well as having friends of many different faiths, I've been to pretty much every Protestant church around. So, I was prepared. 

Anyway, we checked out the Church of Christ. Before we even entered the building, I ran into Ginny the Corona. By the time we found a seat, word had spread I was there. Deb found me, dragged us to sit with her. Several others came over to say hello, with Marty--usually the gregarious one between the two of us--staring like a deer in the headlights. I think Marty was surprised at how many people I knew. Frankly I was surprised at how many people I knew.  

Janice, who I've met a few times, ran over to hug me and said, "We've prayed and prayed and prayed for this day and now you are here!" 

When she left I turned to Deb. "We've prayed?" I raised an eyebrow.

Deb dismissed it with a, "That's just Janice." But I'm not sure I believe her.  

Suzy also zoomed over before and after the service, inviting us to the Sunday school (something Catholics don't have) and/or the "new member meet and greet" which I didn't even need to see the look on Marty's face to know that was probably a no-go. But I appreciated the offer. 

The service itself was interesting. Marty called it a "Pep Rally for Jesus," and he may not be wrong. The message was insightful and gave Marty and I something to discuss on the way home. The music was too much. Like a lot too much. I doubt Marty will go back (even thought today was his idea, he only goes to church at all because I ask), but I probably will. However, I still consider myself Catholic. I enjoyed the fellowship and I wish the ladies at my own church were this welcoming. 

Speaking of the people at my own church, I heard this week the Ladies Auxiliary are still pissy that I brought up our church isn't very welcoming. However, nobody has done anything to resolve this other than gossip about my opinion and let that gossip get back to me. But I digress... 

When we got home, I found a group text from Deb, thanking me for coming. That was followed up by several others saying they were sorry they didn't have a chance to say hello. After last year's loneliness, I can't begin to express how much I appreciate the effort these folks are making to make me feel welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment