Saturday, June 24, 2023

A Week with the Arizona Family


It's People Month here at the Sunshine house. I'm tuckered, but grateful. Today Squirrel, his Bride and Patrick return to Arizona. I slept horribly last night, knowing how much I'm going to miss them. It's no exaggeration to say this has been my happiest week living in Texarkana.

Last weekend we took them to the Four States Auto Museum (located in Texarkana Arkansas). The entire museum, like all museums in small towns is the size of a two-car garage. It was my second time there. I honestly don't need to go back. Ever. However, Marty loves the place.

Yep, that's it.

Fortunately, there's seating for those of us who
finish this tour in less than 3 minutes.

We also went to all sorts of touristy locales, most not located in Texarkana. Tuesday we ventured to the Crater of Diamonds National Park in Arkansas, about 45 miles from here and dug for diamonds. It was hot, there was no shade, we found zero diamonds. But it sure was fun. On the way back, we stopped by Washington Arkansas, a historic town where I took Bonus Dad a couple of weeks ago. 

In the only shady spot at the
Crater of Diamonds National Park

Wednesday Marty took the day off and we made it to Shreveport, which is 70 miles away. It was my first trip into Shreveport since I moved here. We went to Fuddruckers (much to the consternation of my adult children who miss Fuddruckers), visited the Catholic cathedral and the aquarium. I may have bought Patrick the largest stuffed alligator in the history of stuffed alligators, which may or may not fit in his suitcase. I might be mailing it back to him on Monday. 


On the way back we stopped by the Texas-Louisiana-Arkansas state line, where Patrick stood in three states at once. 

The actual survey marker denoting the three states



The sign, next to the survey marker. For those who don't want to venture into the poison ivy and critter-infested area to stand on the survey marker. 

Thursday I took Squirrel's bride to Lunch Bunch. They welcomed her with open arms and invited her to come to the next Church of Christ event.   

Yesterday we went to Jefferson, Texas. On Patrick's bucket list was the Museum of  Measurement and Time. It was actually pretty cool, and for a small-town museum, it was larger than most: about the size of seven two car garages. I'm going to drag Bonus Dad there next time he's in town. 


One of several rooms of clocks, survey equipment, Victrolas, maps and so much more.
An interesting place! 

Otherwise, we walked around, looking at shops, eating ice cream and just being family. Oh yes! We also went to the Tractor Supply store, because Squirrel heard me bragging about how awesome they are. He now agrees.

In our downtime, Squirrel and Patrick kicked the soccer ball around. Squirrel rarely gets "downtime." We played cards. And we did quite a bit of laughing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment