Friday, June 2, 2023

Relics? Mementos? Keepsakes?

I took a break from edits to attend my second Church of Christ book club. We read James Patterson's, Run Rose Run. Actually, it was co-written with Dolly Parton. My guess is Dolly wrote it and James added a few descriptive verbs so that he could slap his name on the title and grab the royalties. 

Gail invited me. She was the only crossover on the Venn Diagram of Church of Christ/Corona and Church of Christ/Book Club folks I knew. That's okay. These ladies were just as nice and just as welcoming (DO YOU HEAR ME LOCAL CATHOLICS???)

Apparently, the Church of Christ book club attendees are the more upscale members of that church. Our meeting was held at Jill's house, which is the most palatial estate I've seen since moving here. Actually, it would make a few Scottsdale homes I've seen look like hovels. Gail cautioned me that people with Jill's money are truly "down to earth," and I shouldn't feel out of place around any of these ladies. I checked my clothes: slacks, matching top, sandals. I checked my hair and make-up, all up to the standards of everyone there. So, her comment still makes me wonder what kind of vibe I'm giving off where Gail felt I might be the least bit intimidated. 

I would like to break out here and say, Jill reminded me of my expat friend in Phoenix. They are both fascinating. They are both attorneys. And, they are both world-travelers who have tastefully decorated their homes with do-dads* from their far-off travels. I hope there's a chance to get to know Jill a bit better. As she was the hostess, we didn't really have a chance to talk. But, even more to the point, it REALLY made me miss my friend in Phoenix. 

Anyway, the book discussion was interesting. If I were talking to writers, I'd probably tear the story apart, pointing out the obvious plot failures. But there was enough meat to hold a great conversation about the music industry, sex trafficking and--because this is a Church of Christ group--Christianity. 

June's book club's date hasn't been announced. Given I have company for two of the four weeks of this month, I have a 50 percent chance of making the meeting. Plus, I haven't touched the book yet. I sure wish the library's book club had conversations like these. 

*Do-dads" marginalizes the way these two homes are decorated. However, as I write this, I can't think of another word. Souvenirs? Think of it this way: Jill's home displayed a cross from Greece and musical instruments from South America. My friend has a gorgeous Chinese cabinet she acquired in China. That kind of thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment