Friday, July 14, 2023

It Froze Over Somewhere

Still Waiting from a Blessing from on High.

Yesterday I made an off-hand suggestion to a couple of members of the ladies auxiliary. And what do you know?! They both thought it was a fabulous idea. This tells me two things: 

1. I am not as stupid as I was starting to believe I was.

2. Once in a while these folks are open to hearing other people's opinions. 

The idea came while we were straightening up the church. The process takes an hour and really has less to do with cleaning and more to do with making sure the hymnals are in place in the pews, the altar server frocks are on hangers and not balled up in the corner of the closet and the prayer candles are replaced. That kind of thing. However, the way the women bitch about having to do this four times a year, you'd think they had to scrub the grout with their toothbrushes. 

There is a guy who is paid to actually clean the church. He does an iffy job, but nobody asked me. Personally, I'd just appreciate it if he'd vacuum the choir loft once in a while. It might cut down on the number of asthma attacks Polly has at church. 

Anyway, I suggested we raise a few bucks to purchase four robot vacuums. We'd put one in the choir loft, one in the vestibule and two in the main church. We could program them to work at 2 a.m. when the church was empty. And, if we wanted to be super-fancy, we'd get the kind that emptied out its own dust into a collection device. Mind you, that's the more expensive model, but what the heck! I didn't think any of them were listening to me anyway. 

What I didn't tell them was that my 10 year old nephew, Patrick, would be more than happy to send them 15,000 videos on the best models of robot vacuums to choose from so they can be savvy consumers. But I almost did. 

It turns out one of the women happens to be the treasurer of some important church committee and thought it was a great idea. She even said she was certain there were enough funds in some random account to purchase these right away (well, after the some important church committee and Father voted to do this). 

I happened to be standing right in front of the altar when I made this wild suggestion. So, let this be a lesson to all'y'all. Miracles can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment