Monday, August 7, 2023

Lake Days

The only reason I'm sitting inside this early in the day at the lake cottage is because it hasn't reached sixty degrees yet and the wind has picked up, letting us know a storm is brewing. In fact, I believe this is the first time in my entire life I've worn a sweater in August. But here I am, sweater and all. 


Bonus Dad took me to Sault Saint Marie--at the tippy top of Michigan--last week. We watched the boats in the locks and then toured a freighter museum, inside an actual freighter. Boat interest is big in Michigan. The two of us seem to gravitate towards local maritime museums, of which there appear to be many. This one actually included artifacts from the Edmund Fitzgerald, which was kind of eerie. 

That is the actual museum we toured. 

Yesterday, per my silly tradition, I woke up extra-early and drove to Lake Huron to watch the sunrise. Aft wards, I ate Michigan blueberry pancakes at the little cafĂ© next to the lake and went to church. Sometimes I make it in time to see the sun rise, sometimes I don't. This year I got lucky. 

Lake Huron


I'll be leaving in a couple of days. According to the weather reports, the Midwest is in for lots of rain this week and, if I act accordingly, I'm hoping to miss the storms. Polly has a birthday next week, and though she already has plans, I want to be there. I need my children more than they need me at this phase of their life. 

For reasons too complicated to go into in this patch of cyber space, this might be my last trip to the lake. I love coming here, and I will miss it. But I'm grateful for these stolen moments I've had to sit next to the window, watching the lake and sit next to Bonus Dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment