Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Out of the Mouth of Bucks

So El Jefe asked me if I could show one of our company's rentals yesterday. When I show rentals for my company it goes like this:

  1. Several people contact us online, saying they are interested in a home. 
  2. I tell them to come at a specific time and and if they don't show up, they don't see it. 
  3. Someone applies for the home, the owner approves (eventually) and I get paid a small sum for my time. 

Truly, it is easy work, and much better than going out with some random stranger and looking at homes all over the Valley while the potentially homeless and fussy tenant in question shops around for the "perfect" place to live for a year. The way the Phoenix metro rental market is now, the above is certainly the way to show homes, because the one with the inventory has the power.

The downside to this particular process is that I am meeting multiple strangers in some vacant home. There is an element of uncertainty, as well as the undeniable safety issues. In these circumstances, I take someone with me. If the potential tenant doesn't feel my behavior is professional, they can move on. I make no apologies.

Anyway, yesterday, El Jefe asked me to stop what I was doing and go show a rental home to various people. On my way over, I swung by my house, scooped up a very annoyed, teenage Buckaroo who did not want to leave what he was doing. He protested greatly, telling me I was "paranoid" and "untrusting" of strangers. That is, until we got to our destination and he met those I was showing the house to.

When we were done with our parade of strangers, all whom said they were so excited and immediately putting in applications for this lovely available two bedroom place (they didn't), I asked Buckaroo what he thought of the potential folks. He said--and I am not making this up--"I like the guy who went to prison for kidnapping best." Actually, I liked that guy best too.

No comments:

Post a Comment