Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Thou Shalt Not Ask About Thy Jesus

I am helping Edie and her boyfriend find a home. They are a sweet couple, with three adorable children. Edie is young--very young but she qualifies to buy a home and I am happy to help.

We looked at a couple of them earlier this week. At one home, the owners, who opted to be there, followed Edie, and when he arrived, her boyfriend around, not giving them a moment of privacy to discuss anything. One would think, when wanting to spend a quarter of a million dollars, a private conversation might be warranted. But the owners didn't feel the same way.

The owners also pointed out what was wrong with the property. Mr. Owner even said things like, "that's broken, I will fix it." which is awesome, because if Edie wanted the house, it would have been written into the contract.

Mr. and Mrs. Owner are Mormon. They didn't hide this particular aspect of their lives. If they hadn't told us they were moving back to Utah to be with their 13 grandchildren and near the Temple, we could have figured it out anyway from the Caucasian Jesus proudly displayed on the wall, to every single other LDS trinket also proudly displayed. What Mr. and Mrs. Owner also did was drop not-so-subtle questions about the particular religion Edie practices. Edie, who seemed oblivious to such questions, didn't really share.

Finally, the doorbell rang. Edie said, "That's probably my boyfriend." And at that point, Mrs. Owner, glancing at the three babies and then at the missing wedding ring on Edie's finger got this frowny, disapproving look on her face. She frostily answered the door, allowed Edie's gentleman friend in, and proceeded to ignore the lot of us. Mr. Owner didn't catch on so fast, but after a private word from his wife, he became curt as well.

I would like to have told you, Mr. and Mrs. Owner were sociable from this point forward. But apparently they had a pressing dentist appointment they were in a rush to get to. They could have gone, leaving the home so Edie could look around in peace--as they should have--but because my folks weren't Mormon, it appeared Edie (nor I) could be trusted.

Rejecting someone based on religion is part of the Fair Housing deadly sins. I have seen this as an issue in Southern States before. And sadly, I have also seen this particular issue here, with the same religious types being pissy. Many years ago, a past buyer wasn't LDS and the seller found this out and retracted their agreed terms (the buyer and seller even shook on a deal).

It happens. But I wouldn't want it happening to me or any agent I know. When I was alone in my car, after the showing, I called the agent. I told him the owners really, really need to leave for showings. I also told him about the Mormon conversations. I could tell, even through the phone, he turned pale. This is a serious violation. Fortunately for him, I am moving on. My clients are too, fortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment