Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Hopeful Deal Breaker

So I am representing a buyer who is hell-bent on buying a home in the worst part of Phoenix. When I say the "worst part of Phoenix" I am not exaggerating. Get out the City of Phoenix crime statistics, find the section of town that has the most crime, triple it, and there you go.

The current home of interest--which actually was an upgrade from the one I wrote about a few weeks ago--just happens to be a foreclosure, a rarity in this day and age (except in Alabama where I happen to know there are currently a gazillion in that situation, but that is for another blog). Bank of America owns this house. Because my buyer just has to have this home, we fought hard for it. She was willing to pay more than I thought she should, but that's because I don't think anyone should pay anything for this dump.

After we had gotten the contract basics straightened out, we have had to wait on BofA to do their foreclosure magic so we can make this sale work. Which is why when I followed up today, the selling agent wrote me the following e-mail:
"We stopped by the property yesterday for an updated inspection. The counter tops on one side of the kitchen are missing along with sink, faucet & plumbing. The cabinets & counters on the other side were completely removed. Also, the sink in the laundry area & thermostat are now missing. Were these items present when you inspected the home?"
Well, as a matter of fact, yes, when we wrote our offer, there did happen to be a kitchen. In fact having a kitchen was of material concern to my buyer. It will also be of material concern for the lender and appraiser. Kitchens are kind of a thing. So are thermostats. So is indoor plumbing.

One would think this would discourage my buyer. But no. She wants to know why BofA won't replace the kitchen. Because they won't. I am asking for a reduction in price (because it mollifies my buyer, but I am realistic). BofA has refused this too. Twice. I have told my buyer perhaps it is time to move on. She isn't ready. Grieving is a personal process. I understand. But truly, whether she likes it or not, a lack of kitchen is a deal breaker.


No comments:

Post a Comment