Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Murphy's Latest Prank

Murphy and I are good friends. His last joke was destroying my oven. The oven went out in a blaze of glor... never mind. It went out in a blaze.

Fortunately, Murphy waited until after Mr. Reader Number Two left (we fed him lunch--roast pork, roasted Brussels sprouts, homemade bread, pie--you see the need for the oven?). Also, fortunately, it is not my responsibility to host Thanksgiving, so I don't need an oven at least until Friday. Unfortunately, drop-in stoves are much, much more expensive than your run-of-the-mill regular stove. And, they are apparently less reliable, as this will the second time we have replaced the darn thing. I did find a used one, but given it is the same brand and age as the one I have, I wasn't as excited. The one I have never really worked right to begin with.

Today, I told Polly that it looked like our California trip later this year was on hold because we needed to buy a new stove. She looked at me, and with all seriousness said, "How badly do we need an oven?" Yeah... I think it will take precedent over a trip--though I am still crossing my fingers on the trip, but probably not.

Being 12 weeks north of financial ruin has been interesting. Our small savings is once again going to be ravaged by our second house emergency (there was a sewage backup and subsequent new hot water heater necessary last month). It happens.

I would dare say all of these little Murphy-type things are just a result of deferred maintenance for the past 9 years, as we were consumed with lots of other non-urgent fire drills that had us making other financial decisions.  But I have to wonder, how do those who don't have a meager savings handle these types of things because, at least for us, we are one Murphy prank shy of being a train wreck. And though that makes great blog fodder, it kind of sucks for those of us who have to live it.

The great news is that we have the money available for a stove. The not so great news is that our California trip is probably on hold. The really annoying news is my future car is probably still in the distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment