Thursday, November 9, 2017

My Afternoon with El Jefe

I turned in my paperwork to the office today. Though it is a small office (there are five agents, including El Jefe and his second in command Senora), I don't work out of the office. It would require me to pack up all my files and my laptop and then--because of our transportation situation--take the city bus a few miles. I can do the exact same work from home. For that matter, I could just e-mail him my paperwork, but it would probably get lost in his inbox.

Besides, I do like to touch base now and then. That way he can put a face to a commission check. Actually, I have known El Jefe for 15 years. He and I go way back. When I was thinking about leaving my last brokerage he talked me into working for him.

Anyway, El Jefe looked over my Veteran's paperwork today and said, "They have prepossession?"

"Yea, didn't I mention that?"

El Jefe looked at me, "No." He then looked at the paperwork again. "Didn't I have surgery that day?"

"I am sure I told you." I replied, waving a dismissive hand. And then, I brightly added, "But you know now!"

El Jefe wasn't too sure about this. "So, when does it close?"

"That's a very good question you are asking. How are you feeling by the way?"

I would like to say El Jefe took the bait and changed the subject, but well, no. "So what happens if this doesn't close?" Was his only question.

Giving him my brightest smile, I threw out, "Are you recovering nicely?"

"It depends," he said.

Raising an eyebrow I innocently inquired, "It depends on what?"

"If and when this prepossession is closing."

And that's when I offered to share my antacids with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment