Thursday, February 1, 2018

Mrs. Worrier Update

Good O'le Mrs. Worrier. Sunday afternoon she sent me a text. She was being kicked out of her in-law's home in Prescott and on her way back to Phoenix with the five kids and the dog. "Please say a prayer we don't have to sleep in our van tonight."

Sure thing... But I happen to know your husband is staying at a hotel, so surely some arrangements can be made. However, all I said was, "Will do."

One would think if someone is this desperate they will figure out a way to find living quarters. But no. She also wanted me to check on a $2000 a month home to 1) see of the owner would take less (I didn't even ask) and 2) would the owner change their mind on the no pets (didn't ask this either). I did let her know it is owner-managed, so she doesn't need to worry about evil property management companies. But I didn't offer to show it to her.

To be fair, I am not available to show Mrs. Worrier a home until much later this week. My week is very crowded with productive tasks such as laundry, homeschool Wednesdays, knitting and possibly Mr. Reader Number Two coming to dinner (yay!). And let's not forget I have a few recorded Diamondbacks' games from last season still sitting in the que that I might need to put on. So, no.

I honestly think the only way Mrs. Worrier will find a place to live is if she finds it herself. It has to be on her terms. I am going to go out on a limb here and predict it will be with an inexperienced landlord who thinks they are helping the Worrier family and then will be continually taken advantage of.

People have asked why don't I fire her. Actually, I am not sure I haven't. I write about her more than I physically deal with her. In the past two and a half months, I have shown her and her husband four homes (last week's was PERFECT except two level-three sex offenders live right across the street, both for crimes against children--I really can't blame her for turning down that one). I do answer her calls and texts. Once in a while if she asks, I look up a house for her. If I am sufficiently motivated, I agree to show her a house, but I have only been sufficiently motivated four times since early November. To be fair, I am truly not very engaged. She comes from a community that gives me a bit of business so I would rather keep everything on positive terms.

But I really don't care if I find her a house. I work at my best when there is some gratitude as part of the deal. Don't we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment