Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Today's Advice

So Monday morning Marty and I took one of our continuing education classes. Somewhere on my bucket list is to teach real estate classes. I have been noodling it for a while, but I am not quite sure I am ready. I am more afraid of what I don't know, than what I know.

Anyway, the class was interesting. Marty, who is an inactive agent, found the class boring, and I assured him it was fascinating. The man who was teaching is a managing broker for a major franchise in town. He has an office of 300 agents and lots of stories. As a freshly minted broker myself, I was listening with both palms propping up my chin, savoring every delicious story. I love contract law. I love legal conversations. And more to the point, some of the tales he told I was relieved hadn't happened to me.

Actually my big take-away from this was an off-handed comment he made. As agents, we really should fire more clients. Maybe if clients didn't think they were doing us agents a favor, they would be a bit more civilized towards us. After all, as a profession, we tend to be professional and polite to them. The same cannot always be said about those we choose to represent.

This got me thinking about Diamond Jim. Technically, I can sell his house right now. Of course, there are some other issues with this and as soon as my sign was popped in the yard, all hell would break loose and that would be the end of it.

But more to the point, why would I want to sell Diamond Jim's house? I can't stress this enough: he is the absolute worst client I ever had. The two times before he has been absolutely awful. The first time, after his home closed he sent me flowers to kind of smooth everything over. The second time I avoided him for months, mainly because I was so furious with his behavior. There is nothing that makes me think this time would be any different.

Originally part of my request was to work with Diamond Jim Junior only because there is only so much crazy I need to tolerate. The more I thought about this, the more I really do feel this teacher was correct. There are times tough love is the best. And the only way I will go forward with this sale is if Junior is at the helm.

No comments:

Post a Comment