Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Unicorn

There are a couple of property management companies in town who give me rental clients. For the most part, these clients aren't felons and don't have dubious backgrounds, which is nice when you are trying to help someone rent a property. I appreciate them thinking of me, generally. Usually, I manage to help them out and in a few cases, I have even sold these folks a house. So, there are times rentals work out.

Today I got a call from a woman who has an 80 year old mother-in-law. Mom lives in an apartment down the street, and this coming June they want to combine households. She told me two statements that were of vital importance. First, she is a Gemini. She wanted to know my birthday and was thrilled I was an Aries. Apparently Aries and Gemini are compatible. I guess.

Second, and this was much more of an issue to me, she "needs" a two bedroom, 2,500 square foot home with a separate casita/guest quarters, in Chandler or Gilbert and it must be under $2000 a month.

Sure, there are homes that meet all of the above, except for her one and only deal breaker: guest quarters. There are homes out there which have guest quarters, but they tend to be high-end. And--and this is very important--THEY TEND TO HAVE OWNERS LIVING IN THEM NOT RENTERS. I mean, I did find one home with guest quarters. However, it is 9 bedrooms and located in Mesa. It was also $4,000 a month. However, this woman was hell-bend on NO Mesa ("It is just too unseemly a place, don't you think?" I didn't. I live in Mesa. I think it is a very well-run city with low crime and lower taxes, but I didn't tell her that.)

In these situations, with such a narrow criteria, I asked her if she would rather buy. After all, she can probably purchase something under those circumstances within her price range. But truly, the whole guest quarters aspect in a rental is making this search a bit difficult. I suggested two master bedrooms--there are floor plans with that as an option. She wasn't sure as a Gemini, she and her mother-in-law (who is also a Gemini) would have enough space.

We left it with me sending her homes and she opting to look on Zillow where "tons" (tons I tell you!) homes with the guest quarters/casitas exist. They are all right next to the unicorn farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment