Tuesday, January 2, 2018

She's Back

Well, Mrs. Worrier is back. She has found a lovely home (on Zillow--because she is refusing to allow me to send her listings) for $1950 a month. It is managed by a property management company, so I don't know how far along this process will go. I do know I am not getting out of my comfy chair to show her this home until this, and her other unrealistic requests are addressed.

I looked at the photos and I can already see lots of dangerous issues. There are built in shelves--she will be worried her kids will climb them and fall. There is a landing at the top of the staircase, where her children may tumble to their demise. There are windows the littles can fall out of. There is a bathtub the cherubs can drown in (after they fill the tub up, of course). There is a stove, sidewalk, and locks on the doors. And the list of potential hazards goes on.

The home is 3,800 square feet, five bedroom and has a three car garage. I think the place should rent--easily--for $2200 if it weren't the first week of January. The Worriers simply cannot afford that much money for rent. So, Mrs. Worrier asked me if I could please check and see if the owner would be willing to take $1700 a month for a two year lease. Honestly even if they were to get a rent reduction, they still can't handle the water, utilities and maintenance costs. The house is huge.

I have to tell you, I have no idea why potential renters think this is a bargaining tool. You are offering less money--which means, most likely, you can't afford the rent--for an opportunity to stay longer. Why would a landlord do this? Let's see... they can take a one year lease and make roughly $23,400 for the year, and then next year raise the rent if necessary, or take a two year lease for less money and be locked into a business relationship for longer and for less proceeds.

In the metro Phoenix area, we have not been in a tenant's market since 2010 and I don't see it changing soon. Tenants really have little bargaining power and I don't know for any reason--even when there are more homes to choose from--why a landlord would willingly agree to this.

There are homes available in Mrs. Worrier's price range. But they aren't good enough. They are "too small" (Marty and I grew up in significantly smaller--and Marty lived in a larger family than the Worriers) and not "new" and "modern" enough. I honestly wish someone would be able to explain to the tenants and buyers of the world, if it is new and modern today, it won't be in three years. There truly is an argument for functional and utilitarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment