Saturday, January 27, 2018

Out of the Mouth of Teens

As a parent, my children constantly challenge me, the way I challenge them. And this past week has been one of the more challenging. They went to a leadership and self development conference a few days ago where they learned a few tricks to make sure I was put in my place. And they have used them. All. Week.

Last weekend, Polly took it upon herself to tell me how something I was doing was bothering her. It was emotional for her. I had no idea. I thought she just wasn't understanding the 57 times a day I was nudging her to take care of this particular task. It turns out, she was just digging in her heels. Dang! I was so clueless. All that said, we sorted it out, with me no longer nudging. Instead, I am to use the phrase, "hot chocolate" when we get into that kind of space again. And I have noticed she is making an effort for me not to need to say, "hot chocolate" (over and over) again.

Additionally, I am struggling with the real estate business. All was going great when I wasn't focusing on trying to find clients, but the past two weeks my direction has changed. I need a client. Or want. Or something. Anyway, I want to figure out a way to make this work. And because my phone hasn't been ringing, self-doubt and tons of other ugly emotions have been creeping in and doing a tap dance in my head.

Last Wednesday, Buckaroo and I were eating tacos and he asked if all was ok.

ME: "No, Just worried about finding clients."

BUCKAROO: "Why?"

ME: "Because that's what you are supposed to do when you open a brokerage."

BUCKAROO: "What's the worst that could happen?"

ME: "I fail."

BUCKAROO: "What does failure look like? Have you failed before?"

ME: "Yes, remember the accidental business?" (as if he could forget)

BUCKAROO: "Did you survive?"

ME: "You are grounded."

BUCKAROO: "What else do you think will happen if you don't get clients?"

ME: "I will disappoint you guys."

BUCKAROO: "We aren't disappointed."

ME: "You won't have a good childhood."

BUCKAROO: "Stop right there, my childhood has been amazing."

ME: "We won't have any money in the bank."

BUCKAROO: "Like right now?"

ME: "You are grounded."

BUCKAROO: "What does success look like?"

ME: "Don't you have a taco to eat?"

Anyway, that was the gist of the conversation. Buckaroo is right. The world won't end. There is a certain amount of pride in going out on my own. El Jefe made suggestions that I couldn't do it without him and his crappy leads. Though I know that isn't the case, I also know I would prefer to have something coming in my pipeline. And today I am just getting in my own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment