Friday, December 14, 2018

Maybe They Will Make a Decision by the end of March

For something to do, and as a way to give to my vocation, about six weeks ago, I managed to fill out the application to join one of the local realtor association committees. I was asked and encouraged to do so the head of one of the committees. I was told they "seriously needed volunteers." Anyway, with almost 16 years under my belt, being a designated broker and a high-producing agent, I expected to be a shoe-in--even if it was for a grunt position somewhere. After all, who doesn't like ready, willing and able volunteers?

There were three programs, which caught my eye. I said I only wanted to be on one of them, but I was required to pick several. I picked the community outreach committee (which is what the person chairing encouraged me to join). They help other agents who have critical needs, as well as do the fun events in the community. Second choice was the grievance committee--I would hear about agent vs. agent disputes--like agent arbitration. I thought it sounded fascinating. As a designated broker, I figured I had a shot, because they were only looking for brokers. Third on my list was the professional development committee, which puts on classes for agents. Real estate education is on my mid-to-long term bucket list (as a teacher) and this might be a place to start.

When I mentioned this to my friend Sally (yep, that's her name), she said the committees are cliquish and unless I am one of "those" types, I wasn't likely to be on one. She should know. She went down this path a couple of years ago. She joined a committee and was immediately sorry she did so. Not terribly surprised, I felt fully warned.

Anyway, I have heard nothing back from anyone at the association. I am guessing I am not as qualified as I thought I was. Or perhaps I just don't hang out with the in-crowd. Either way, it doesn't look like I am wanted or needed for this particular pursuit.

While I desperately search for significance in what I am doing, I am recognizing helping others through the realtor association may not be the path I am supposed to be on. And that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment