Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The Big-Girl Designated Broker Voice

I have these clients who are buying a home. For reasons too long to go into for this patch of cyber space, they used a specific lender requested by the seller. I don't know this company. My clients don't know this company. But it was in my clients' best interest to work with this lender.

Last week, there were approximately 3 zillion back and forth e-mails with the loan officer. I know this because I was copied on all of them. Each e-mail from my normally reasonable and pleasant clients were more terse than the last, with the loan officer back-pedaling and making assurances that frankly, if she had done her job the first time, wouldn't have needed to be made. 

I jumped in at one point and asked if the process was going as promised, because there are some hard deadlines that cannot be messed with. I was given the same veiled, "I don't see a problem," from the loan officer. However, the back and forth continued and it became clear my folks were on their last nerve. 

Finally, I called the loan officer's boss and left a voice mail. I used my Big-Girl Designated Broker Voice on the voice mail, bandying around words such as, "disappointment," and "uncomfortable" and "accountability." I ended my message to her with an, "I look forward to hearing from you and finding out what solutions you have so my clients can determine whether or not to move forward with your company," which was only a half-bluff, because I was already making phone calls to some of the rock star loan officers I know and seeing if they would match the terms and conditions my clients were promised by this company. 

In truth, I hate confrontation. Frankly, I am really bad at it too. I totally rock passive-aggressive, which unfortunately this situation did not call for. Having to call someone's boss and get things straightened out is really out of my comfort zone. However, sometimes it is necessary. I don't care if my clients are spending $1.00 or $10,000,00.00 it is their money and it is my job to make sure they are protected. And sometimes that means confrontation--even if it gives me nightmares for weeks afterwards. 

The Loan Officer's Boss, by the way, did call me back. She acknowledged there was some missteps and explained to me what was going on. That is all well and good. I speak the language. I understand what got everyone to the point we are in now. My clients don't understand and it doesn't change the fact they are pissed off and they aren't pissed off kind of people. 

"What do you plan to do to make this a smooth transaction moving forward?" I asked the boss. Because, why use my Big-Girl Designated Broker Voice if I am not going to challenge her to right the issue? To her credit, she took charge and fixed the situation. She called my clients, apologized and said there shouldn't be more problems moving forward. 

Sometimes all people want is an apology to make things better. An, "I'm sorry," can save the relationship when nothing else can at times. There is nothing the loan officer boss could do to fix the past, but I think she put the future in the right direction. Would this have happened if I hadn't called her? I don't know. But I would like to think maybe my Big-Girl Designated Broker Voice had something to do with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment