Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Grievance Committee Reviewing

I am reviewing the nine cases that are in front of the committee this week. I am half-way done and needed a break before I tackled the last five. There are a few takeaways: 

  • Agents don't understand property management. I'm sorry you had to wait an additional 90 minutes to get a response from the property manager for your client. Maybe the property manager was busy and couldn't get back to you right away? It isn't an ethical violation. I'm sorry, after your clients submitted applications to rent, the property manager discovered your clients are lying. That is not an ethical violation for the property manager. What it was is crappy clients for you and a waste of your time. That sucks.

  • Going after selling agents for not disclosing something they don't know isn't an ethical violation. Nowhere does it say in the code of ethics that real estate agents must retain a psychic at all times. 

  • Harmed clients tend to go after the wrong party. Your agent screwed up but successfully covered his butt. Therefore, someone is going to pay. It must be the other agent! But usually it isn't. Getting lawyers involved who clearly don't understand Arizona Real Estate law does not make for a stronger case against the wrong party. It just makes the lawyer's bank account bigger. 

  • Referral fees to the general pubic is a no-no. A big one. (I think it is a Class 6 felony, but don't quote me on that one.) Anyway, if you say to your friend, "I know a good agent let me call her and see if she will represent you," you AND you aren't a licensed real estate agent, I can't give you a referral fee. Feeling you have been wronged by an agent who (allegedly) agreed to give you a referral fee doesn't make that fee magically appear. Especially when that agent has denied from the beginning of every e-mail you submitted as your evidence of an ethical violation that they can't give you a referral fee. 

My head hurts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment