Monday, October 12, 2020

I Don't Want to be A Grievance Committee Case

My very first clients in my brokerage were this couple: JC and Carly. They rented a house with a bit more drama than they expected, even though I'd given them fair warning of what the rental market was really like. We have stayed in touch on and off over little things, like clauses in their lease, and should they move to another rental? 

JC reached out to me yesterday. You see, they want to move. They are so motivated to move that they went house hunting with another agent over the past two weeks. When I asked them why they didn't call me, he said--and I'm not making this up--"I didn't want to bug you." 

Now, they have have found something they love. The home is simply perfect! And can I help them out? Well, no. I can't. 

You see, there is this thing called, "Agency." It means if you are working with one agent, find the home of your dreams, another agent can't come in, swoop down and steal the buyers and write the contract. You would be surprised at the number of Grievance Committee cases we see on this particular issue. Even if the client fires the first agent before the contract on that wonderful home is written, it doesn't change the fact the first agent DID THE GROUND WORK. Therefore, anything I do from this point forward is an ethical violation. 

Now then, if JC and Carly don't like the houses they have seen thus far and don't want to work with that particular agent, I can come in (provided they haven't signed anything binding them to the first agent--which I am told they didn't). I would be happy to. It wouldn't be a bother. It wouldn't be bugging. It would be my job and the way I feed my family. But I suspect this won't be happening. JC has his mind made up. They found "the house." Carly, however isn't so sure, but said she could live there for a few years and then maybe move if it didn't work out. 

Our conversation was cheerful. To their credit, they sounded disappointed I wouldn't be representing them. And we parted as friends. This morning JC even sent over his lease, asking me to take a peek, just to make sure he can get out of it early if they decide to to buy. Well, why not. Maybe they will think of me first when they want to move again in a few years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment