Wednesday, October 21, 2020

I Worked Last Week

So last week, I did my hair, slapped on some mascara and threw caution to the wind and--dare I say it--put on lip gloss. Then, I went out and showed homes to a client. 

We had to wear masks (sorry lip gloss) while viewing. One seller had a camera in their home and watched to make sure we donned hand sanitizer and booties--though I can't tell you how viruses are spread by shoes. I know this because the selling agent called me and told me her clients were pleased we followed protocol. 

In addition to that, we viewed new builds. Of course, one just doesn't simply walk into a new build. One calls, makes an appointment, gives the medical history of every member of the buying party (including children and the agent--though we aren't given the medical history of those working in the new build showroom). We are told we have one hour for my buyers to make a more than half-a-million dollar buying decision before our germs contaminate the model homes (through our masks and hand sanitizer) and must leave. 

I was spent before I arrived. 

New builds right now are a bit tricky. First, there are "lot premiums" on most every new home being built. A lot premium is extra money the builder can charge that is not included in the sales price. It has to be paid in cash. It is non-negotiable and it is slapped on over and above the price of the home because people are willing to pay it. 

Second, there are waiting lists for homes. So, my clients would have had to prequalify with the builder's lender and only then they could be put on a waiting list to decide which of the three plots of land they might want to buy (with the $10,000 lot premium). Most likely if my clients went this direction today it would be January or February before it was their turn to select a property. It is utterly maddening. 

As it turns out, my fabulous clients have decided that maybe they will sit out the latest market frenzy. They apologized for "wasting" my time. But they weren't wasting my time. They are lovely, gracious people and, as always, I enjoyed every minute with them. Plus, I got to put on lip gloss.

No comments:

Post a Comment